Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bliss

Last year we hat a failed attempt at getting Nathan into Tee Ball. The communication between his coach and ourselves was frustrating and bothersome. After a number of missed meetings, practices, and games, we gave up. Nathan was disappointed and dejected. This year, it seemed the same thing may happen. We signed him up for the city's little league program in the coach pitch division back in March. We waited and waited to hear without any word. Saturday, Nathan's friend called and asked if we were going to the opening ceremonies. I knew nothing of the ceremonies but quickly loaded Nathan in the car and took off to Lindquist field. When we arrived at the field (where the Raptors play) all the Little Leaguers were on the field all in uniform. I was again frustrated and asked Nathan if he wanted to just leave. He was enjoying himself at the big stadium and seemed happy to watch. So, we watched the ceremonies and then went down to the field where I politely asked the gentleman in charge WHY we had not been contacted yet another year!!!! Actually I was polite and the man took the time to look through the rosters and find Nathan's team and coach. He then introduced me to the coach. Why we weren't called, I don't know but Nathan was happy and excited to meet his coach. Nathan then ran the bases, grabbed a hot dog and lemonade and we returned to the car. I was feeling a little irritated when suddenly Nathan said, "Now I'm a soccer player and a baseball player." I agreed with him, not quite listening when his exuberance spilled over and he exclaimed, "This is the BEST day of my life!" I smiled! My attitude changed and I became excited to watch him play on the Mets!

4 comments:

Anonymous

GRRRRRR! In moments like these, don't you just want to growl at the world? But you get the Awesome Mom Award for not losing your cool in front of the coach! And Nathan gets the Awesome Kid Award for the best attitude and good sportsmanship I've seen at a ball field in a long time -- they have to have police present at all our athletic functions, just in case somebody gets a little too hot under the collar, if you know what I mean!

nona

Dosen't it make you wonder how many times your attitude gets in the way of sharing some really special moment in your child's life. Looking back--I'm sure I missed lots because I was more worried about my feelings than what you kids were feeling. I am trying harder with my grand kids!!!

Leake's

I love how the little accomplishments mean the world to kids. When we know how far they can go and should be allowed to go. They are happy with the little steps.

Our Corner

It was so cute to see how excited Nathan was when James came over to play catch with him. We are really looking forward to seeing him play. :)