Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cardiac MRI In Style!!

During Abby's heart operation, the surgeon had to cut into part of her pulmonary valve to relieve some of the stenosis in order to restore her heart pressure to a normal range. Because of this, Abby's heart valve leaks. We have known since shortly after her first operation that we will need to replace that leaky valve eventually. The older she is, the better since the valve will not grow with her body. Well, her cardiologist ordered an MRI on her heart to see how the valve and heart are functioning. If things look good, we will go on as we have and put the replacement off. If there is any enlargement of the heart muscle or the arteries surrounding the heart, they will consider replacing the valve sometime in the next few months. So, yesterday we trekked on down to Primary Children's Medical Center for the MRI. Abby was a little nervous since she had never had an MRI. Although, she is quite comfortable at the hospital as we have spent so much time there with her over the last 9 years. I usually try to warn her when she will be poked or scared and failed miserably this time!! I didn't know her cardiologist had ordered an MRI with contrast. So, she was a little upset when they told her they would be starting an IV so they could inject the dye. I had told her there would be no needles of any kind...oops!! She was a trooper though and sat still and calm while they started her IV.

She was also very excited to be able to wear these awesome goggles and headphones which allowed her to watch a movie during the MRI. She chose "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" and sat quite still and happy during the rest of the procedure!! The radiologist informed Justin that the goggles were a $40,000 upgrade to the MRI machine and I bet they feel it is worth every penny. I am so grateful for this children's hospital so close to us. There motto is "the child first and always" and I have always felt that the staff truly lives by it. Now, we just wait until the images are read and given to our cardiologist. We will hopefully have the results in a week or so. Here's hoping for good news and no surgery for the time being.

7 comments:

Emily

We're hoping for the best! I wouldn't wish for anyone to have to go through this (she is amazing!), but I am glad she is getting top notch care!

Jennie

I'm glad she had a good experience. Jackson has had about 3 MRI's at PCMC and is sedated for all of them. What a trooper that she could hold still for so long. Keep us posted. We wish you the best!

Leake's

Good luck. What a trooper Abby is! It sounds like your doctors are on top of things!

Rachel

Oh I hope it looks good so you can put it off. Abby is such a little trooper! That second photo did make me look twice :) lol

David and Vicki Wardell Family

Nikki, we feel for you. Having been through so much of this with our heart patient makes it kind of routine. It is amazing what they can live with and how adaptable kids are. They are truly blessed beings. Kudo's to Abby. We will be praying for no surgery at this point.

Evans Family

It sounds like you have done an amazing job preparing Abby! Hope all goes well!

Kendria

We hope Abby's results are what you are hoping for - however, I want to know how I can get hooked up with a movie in my MRI's I have to get on a reg. basis- No fair! Big people don't like them either! :0) It's so fun to read about your family.