Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Gifts

Today we were driving home from finishing a few last minute errands. My husband turns to me and asks me what I would ask Santa for this Christmas.

Hmmm...my mind starts working. For myself??? What wife and mother of four ever wonders what she would ask Santa for? The topic faded away into other conversations but the thought has been on my mind. What would I ask Santa for?

It seems like the "usual" items just don't capture my fancy like they used to.

Jewelry, new clothes, leather coats, cute new boots...none of them would make my list.

Maybe practical items. Things I need but don't buy for myself. Closet doors, a kitchen mop, a blender, a new ironing board, new bedding....honestly, none of those things would make my list either. I can always use them and always appreciate them but I would never really ask for them.

Of course I immediately began to think of all the things I would ask for if it was for my husband and kids. That doesn't really count then does it?

Then my mind caught hold of some of the things that I really really do want for Christmas. My list is comprised entirely of things Santa can't bring. My grown up Christmas list includes:

*Four of the happiest children on Earth Christmas morning. Not because Santa came or because they got new toys but because they are here, in my family. Because they are Wardells and have all the security and love they need under our little roof.

*A husband who really knows that I am profoundly grateful for his sacrifice for us. He works and he works hard. He works hours he doesn't always enjoy. He works shifts that take him away from family life. He works weekends, nights, holidays, and any other time he is needed. All this for us. For his four children who he would do anything moral he had to. For me so I can be home raising my kids and devoting all the attention they need and deserve.

*Assurance and peace for my Abby in the upcoming months. She has a road ahead of her that is steep and rocky and seems dark at times. For a ten-year-old to face open heart surgery is equivalent to me climbing Mt Everest. I don't know how to help her....but for Christmas I would like to find that answer.

There it is...my list. Santa can't deliver to Nicole on Christmas morning. But, Santa isn't the only one who can deliver gifts on Christmas.

He who is the living water and the bread of life. He who should be the focal point of this season of gifts and love and peace and good will. He can grant my heart's desires. Not only can he, but he will if I trust in him. He calls to me just as he called to others "Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I shall give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." He urges me "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

Yes, Christ can give us peace and rest. He offers us happiness and comfort. He fills our homes and hearts with love and security. This season, more than any thing else, I wish for the fulfillment of these promises. The greatest gifts I could possibly receive will not come from a box or sack and will not be found under a sparkling tree Christmas morning but will be held within my heart and given by the Spirit of the Lord.