Any child who is older than 3 years,
healthy, and not toilet trained after several
months of trying can be assumed to be
resistant to the process rather than undertrained.
I have another definition........
Yes, Gavin is apparently Toilet Training Resistant. What are the causes of such a terrible malady you ask?????*The child was introduced to potty training before "psychological or cognitionally" ready to understand and learn. Nope....not here. Introduced at 2 and he was definitely able to understand and learn.
*Medical condition, such as constipation or other conditions, that make toilet training painful or difficult. Nope, not that one either.
*The child has been reminded or lectured too much or disciplined upon making mistakes. Hmm, okay maybe I lecture too much, but only in the last few days. Before that it was merely suggested now and then every other day or so. Certainly no long lectures and I have never placed him on the potty every 20 minutes or 30 minutes and made him sit there until he goes....that isn't really potty training in my mind, just forced pottying. So this may have somewhat to do with the terrible resistance but, I think more likely.....
*"Most children younger than 5 or 6 years who have daytime wetting or soiling (encopresis) without any other symptoms are simply engaged in a power struggle with their parents."----Definitely the most likely of the three scenarios!!!!
What is the solution for such a terrible problem??????
*Make it his responsibility. I gave him one last potty talk this morning after bath time. His bodily functions now completely belong to HIM. He is in charge of getting them in the toilet. If he gets them in the toilet, he gets gummy dinosaurs, his favorite treat. A star on his chart, which when he earns enough starts he will get.....yes a dog!!! The guide said incentives are good so, this is a good incentive. Lastly, he wears only underwear and when he messes in them or wets them...he needs to change himself (with my help) and clean out the underwear if he needs to (with my help) and clean up any floor messes (luckily we have almost all wood floors). And I am to not mention it again!!!!! Wow, this routine seems hard but I'm hoping we see success in about a week....the amount of time given to see definite results. So hopefully I can keep my mouth shut, my sanity, and Gavin will realize that his power struggle is useless!!! Wish us luck!!!


7 comments:
Good Luck! Potty training is one of those things that is completely, yet unfortunately in their court. I wish you the best. PS - a real, live dog?
Ugh! Good luck! I am not looking forward to my next, but last potty training experience. My number 2 about killed me!
That was very helpful information! I've been struggling with the best way to encourage/enforce going potty like a big girl with Ryanna. After a chat with Quinten's Doctor about it(who is a renal specialist) I've decided to just quit the power struggle and leave it alone. I've told her if you want to, you can. We'll see what happens now that I'm not asking it of her. Good luck with Gavin!!
I say leave it alone, when they are ready they will be ready. I talked to my ped about this and she asked me if I ever knew an adult who wasn't potty trained!! Point taken, with Colton, it was a daily choice, underwear or diaper?? He picked and our day went accordingly. After a couple of weeks of this, one day he picked underwear, wore them all day, no potty no accidents, that night at dinner, got down, went in, went potty, never wore a diaper again, nor had an accident... a little patience is worth alot...
You go Nikki! And I can't wait to hear what kind of dog you are going to get in a week. Is Gavin going to be in charge of poopoo cleanup? Another subject for another day!
All I want to say is...you are brave, and I pray for your sanity! I truly laughed and enjoyed this whole posting, and I will NEVER judge a parent and their efforts in attempts to civilize the savage beings they brought into this world! May your home remain standing when you are done with this mission!!!!!
I just have to smile a bit, been there done that with my own power struggle child. At four I was at my wits end, when all of the sudden he announced one day that he was going to do it, I laughed in disbelief. Unfortunately, I was wrong and he was right and he hasn't let me forget it to this day. Love my power struggling know-it-all teenage child.
Post a Comment