
Today is my Dad's birthday. When he stopped by this morning I wished him happy birthday and he said, "Is it my birthday?" I guess that pretty much sums up my dad. He never thinks about himself much. He isn't really into fancy toys or big things. He doesn't try or want to impress. All he does is try to help out where he can.

As a little girl, I was one of those who was going to grow up to marry my dad! Justin thinks this is wierd but at the time, I couldn't think of a greater man in my life. I have so many fond memories of my dad growing up. He would sit me on the handlbars of his bike and let me ride with him. He always had time for me even when he was working. I was allowed to ride on the tractor with him, and not on the big wheel wells but in between him on the seat. He would let us kids ride in the back of the truck on the way to the dump (of course seatbelt laws were non-existent then). He would take us to McDonalds for Saturday morning breakfast frequently and then often we would go and wash the car at the car wash. Inevitably, he had a pocketful of change for treats from the gas station next door to the car wash. He taught me how to ride a bike I got for my birthday...in February in the middle of the snow!! He taught me, very patiently how to waterski...and not from the boat but right in the water with me. And he would always carry me to my bed on nights when we got home late and I fell asleep in the car, even if I was faking sleep.

As an older girl I loved how you could always joke with dad. He has a great sense of humor and appreciates mine...or at least fools me into thinking he does. He drove our carpool to school and never embarrassed me, in fact, most of the kids in the carpool loved my dad almost as much as I did. He was fun and happy. He is also wise and someone I could always go to for advice. He is also one of the first people I know I can call when I need help. He spent countless hours helping me on school projects, school campaign posters, proofreading school reports, Sterling Scholar Portfolios...you name it, he was helping. He spent hours and hours and hours sitting in the audience at countless clogging competitions and performances...even though the sound of the tap, tap, tapping inevitably left him with a splitting headache. When it came to church callings I can think of few people who fulfill their stewards as honorably as my dad. He rarely misses home teaching, he teaches masterfully and never complains about it, he spent a number of years serving in the scouting program when most men were doing all they could to get realeased, he served years and years on a ward activities committee that most people ran from.

As a grandpa, he is second to none. My kids brighten up whenever he comes around. Ironically he has been dubbed "grumpy" by my kids, however, he is anything but grumpy. He cares about each grandchild individually and knows each of them personally. He spends time with them and fills their lives with wisdom, happiness and great memories. If you can't tell, I think the world of him, conspiracy theories, soap boxes and all!!! I can't think of anyone more lucky than myself to be able to call him Dad!! Happy Birthday!!
2 comments:
Hi Nikki;
Tell your Dad, Happy Birthday!!!!
Time marches on, doesn't it!
I can remember meeting your family for the first time. He intimidated me at first but that all went away and I immediately feel in love with him. :)
Post a Comment