Saturday, June 27, 2009

Peace Offerings To The Garbage Can

Gavin has been spending quite a bit of time in his "corner" lately. He goes through these phases where he is just abounding with so much exuberance and crazy two-year-old energy that he forgets the rules. Rules like no hitting, pinching, kicking or biting. Rules like no putting a blanket over his 8-month-old brothers head while he is precariously perched against the piano. Rules like come here and don't touch and be quiet. In the car he is particularly prone to forget the rules like no throwing toys into his baby brothers face and no hitting or kicking his brother or sister. You see, in the car he has realized that there is no possibility of time out. I count to three and he sits there grinning at me in the rear view mirror like a sly fox whilst continuing to kick his brother in the leg or pull his sisters braid. These rules letely have been incredibly hard for Gavin to live by. As a consequence, he is seen quite often in his time out niche. Time out in our house is simple--2-4 minutes depending on the severity of the transgressed rule--sitting quietly (or maybe screaming loudly), after the timer beeps he sits until I come in and have him explain why he was in time out. Lastly, he must give a sincere and heartfelt apology to the victim. This usually entails a giant sized Gavin hug and a sorry. Yesterday, he was playing in the garbage can. I asked him to stop opening and closing the lid. He continued to play in the garbage can, this time not just opening and closing the lid but starting to put his head in. I told him firmly to stop or he would go to a time out. He continued on, playing with the garbage can acting as if I wasn't even in the room. I picked him up and set him down firmly in a time out, setting the clock for 2 minutes. I started the timer amidst his wails and cries of protest. Yes, SuperNanny would be proud of me. At the end of his two minutes he called, "mommy, it beeped." I went in and asked him to please stay out of the garbage can because it was dirty. He agreed and immediately jumped up and ran straight to the garbage can. I was about to come unglued when he put his arms gently around the garbage can, laid his head on the lid and said, "Sorry garbage can." I have no choice but to be head over heels in love with this mischief maker!!!!!

3 comments:

Chad and Barbi's family

That is classic! I loved that! Two year olds are a lot smarter than we think! My Sydnee is giving me a run for my money! She is unlike any child I have had before. I am trying to see and appreciate all that I need to learn from her. I think we all need to do that with two year olds!

Leake's

They say that our children are put here to teach us! Teach us what? I have to tell you, your post gave me a good laugh. Everytime I read one of these, I think of the antics my mother-in-law endured from my husband. And God blessed me with 3 girls!!! Who were mischevious, but still girls. Someday, I want to meet your Gavin! He could be the president of the United States someday. He certainly has the energy and curiousty.

Emily

That is hilarious! Our time out rule is "you stay there until you're ready". Trevor is currently in time out and has been for at least a half an hour. Guess he's not ready yet.