Sunday, July 26, 2009

O, Remember Remember

We took an impromptu road trip this weekend to Montana. We just up and decided to go up and go boating with Justin's family and attend the Last Chance Rodeo (more to come on this). We loaded up Friday at 1:00 PM and arrived at 9:30 PM. We played our little hearts out all day and night Saturday and then we loaded everyone up in the car at 5:30 AM and headed back for home on Sunday. Justin had to be to work at 3:00 PM Sunday so we had to get home. You can imagine how grumpy and tired and short tempered all of us were on the drive home. The kids were upset, Justin and I were exhausted and that makes for terrible traveling conditions. However, shortly after we started for home I had the distinct impression that I needed to have a cheerful and patient attitude and it would make the trip home much smoother. So, I went through the motions of being patient and cheerful. Soon, I noticed that everyone was a little more tolerant and after a while longer, we were all feeling much better. I took time to play with Gavin and Ethan, sitting in the back by them and playing games with Gavin. I hugged them and told them how much I loved them. I tickled little giggles and smiles out of them. I tried to talk to the Abby and Nathan about the fun time we had just had, asking them what their favorite part of the short trip was. The ride home was amazingly pleasant. It helped that the kids napped a lot and it helped after they had full tummies. But, I also think the Lord's little reminder that I needed to change my attitude before I expected anything different from anyone else helped the very most. Now, I just need to apply this little lesson more frequently and in more instances than traveling. How thankful I am the Lord is mindful of the little things in our lives as well as the big things, like how to make it through an 8 hour car ride with harmony and peace rather than contention and frustration.

3 comments:

AMy

i love this. it just goes to show how we affect those around us even when we don't realize it. i havef noticed at work on a busy saturday night if one person is in a really foul mood it starts to spread like a wild fire and make everything just awful but if someone is in a good mood it spreads just as easy and makes the shift so much better. thanks for the great insights!

Jen

Isn't it funny how a mom or one can affect everyone. Glad you had a great time. The coming home part is always a drag...

Bump and Erin

You are so awesome! I know that I am the terror of the house and my kids feed off of my attitude. It's so hard to remember to just be happy and calm and patient when everyone else is being grumpy! Thank you!