I have recently been undertaking some research for a pet project of mine. In this research I have been studying in depth the history of the church during the Kirtland years. Most of the time when I think of these times I think of the great sacrifice of the saints to build the first temple. Once the temple was complete it was a great time of communion with the spirit. It is often times referred to as a season of Pentecost. Great and marvelous spiritual occurrences happened after the temple was built. However, in my studying I came to realize that it was only about 2 weeks after the temple was built that Satan's power was unleashed upon the saints. It was during this time that economic hardships compounded, members began to question and doubt Joseph and his prophetic calling, members became prideful and began to lust after money and the acquisition of it, land speculation (selling property for inflated values) was common, those in the church who "had" looked down on the new converts flooding to Kirtland from New England who had nothing. Kirtland was overflowing with a spirit of dissension. It was during this time that Martin Harris, Oliver Cowdery, and others apostatized from the church. Fighting amongst members broke out often, even within the walls of the temple. In Teachings of Joseph Smith it says As many as two or three hundred members fell away from the Church in Kirtland, sometimes joining with those who opposed the Church to torment and even physically threaten the Saints. Some apostates openly claimed that the Prophet was fallen and tried to have other men put in his place. Sister Eliza R. Snow recalled: “Many who had been humble and faithful to the performance of every duty—ready to go and come at every call of the Priesthood—were getting haughty in their spirits, and lifted up in the pride of their hearts. As the Saints drank in the love and spirit of the world, the Spirit of the Lord withdrew from their hearts.”What a humbling thought. We hear about the pride cycle in the Book of Mormon so often and here is the pride cycle played out in the early history of the church. It made me stop and take stock of my own standing, is my testimony strong enough to withstand Satan's temptations? President Benson has said that pride is at the root of all sin. Am I doing enough to protect myself against that pride? If men like Martin Harris, who literally sacrificed all he had to bring forth the Book of Mormon could turn from the Prophet than any of us could fall away if we aren't careful. Sunday school answers are the key...reading and studying the scriptures, praying for humility, following the prophet, going to church.
I am also touched with a bit of humility in reading about these early saints as many of them, despite sacrificing all they had for the cause, despite going through trials from being chased by mobs to losing loved ones, despite feeling confused and distraught, continued in their faith and stood stalwart. I hope to one day be counted as a stalwart and not an apostate. How thankful I am for sacrifices and early saints who we can learn from.


3 comments:
Loved your post! When I was reading it, I also thought about today's world. "As the Saints drank in the love and spirt of the world, the Spirit of the Lord withdrew from their hearts." I think that is so true about today's world as well. Perhaps this economic downturm may help people to refocus upon what is really important in life.
Nikki, I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the little boost for my soul. Vicki
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment