If there were ever a more powerful section of scripture concerning tribulation and adversity, I don't know of any more so than the revelations Joseph Smith received in Liberty Jail (D&C 122). The doctrine is not only pure but comforting, not only instructive but enlightening. Most importantly, the section offers comfort and peace time and time again in my life when the storms of adversity raise their threatening heads.
It appears that my surprise pregnancy is not a pregnancy any longer. We went to the doctor and discovered that it was looking good, like a normal pregnancy. That same night symptoms started up again, only the pain was a little edgier. I went to the dr. the next day and this time, no pregnancy was apparent on the u/s. Nothing appeared but a cyst. Blood levels were drawn and my hcg levels dropped, halved in fact. So, in a week I am to return to the dr., hopefully my hcg levels will be 0. I may or may not still have to endure a miscarriage (if I haven't already). No baby is in the future and no addition to our family.
My last two weeks have been emotionally charged. I am exhausted and drained. Oddly enough, today, life had to go on. I took the boys to the dentist, helped Abby finish her science fair project, went to lunch with Justin and the little boys, went to Abby's science fair project...life continues. A part of me feels terrible...I was getting used to the idea of a new baby, wondering if it would be a sister or brother, hoping it would be healthy despite rough beginnings. A part of me also feels frustrated at the process we have gone through. Tests that say "Surprise you'er pregnant and miscarrying" and then more tests that say "Surprise you didn't miscarry and everything looks good" and then one last test that says "We don't see a pregnancy anywhere, you must have miscarried and not realized it or you still will miscarry."
These are not the worst trials I have faced. But they are a reminder of where our source of power comes from. They are a reminder that being humble on my own is more important than being compelled to be humble. The trials offer me an opportunity to fast, pray, and commune with the spirit in a way that only happens through adversity. I am thankful for it. I know that the Lord's ways are not my ways and I trust in His plan completely.
Thanks to amazing parents and a wonderful husband who have been here picking up my slack for the last two weeks, cooking meals, cleaning house, watching kids, helping with homework....I couldn't have done it without you! Thanks to those of you who offered encouragement, prayers, love, understanding and support! It helps to lighten the burdens.
"Know thou..that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." (D&C 122:7)
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Nikki, you amaze me! Love you more than words can say...our prayers are with you....
What a crazy roller coaster of emotions! My sister-in-law went through something similar and I asked her if she felt it was a sign that they needed to have another baby. For them the answer was still a no, that they were finished with their family and the reason behind what happened with them was something different. I always wondered how I would feel. I felt finished with my 3rd, but as a woman and a mother I think you always have those feelings of 'what if.' And I have seen too many miraculous pregnancy's to not have faith that if the Lord wants a child to be in your family he will put that child in your family!
This was not to be, but the Lord knows your willingness to do what ever is asked of you. Just have faith that the decisions that you make with a prayer in your heart, knowing what you can physically and emotionally do, will be the right ones in His eyes.
You are awesome! Take care and enjoy your little family!! Treasure this experience and know that there was a reason for it!
Love you!
I am so sorry! I've been thinking about you so much and am glad you have a lot of support around you at this time. Take care!
Post a Comment