Thursday, March 4, 2010

In Memoriam

Dear Wes,
Life is full of surprises...it certainly was a surprise to find out you had suffered a stroke and passed away on February 25, 2010. You were young, too young for that but, the Lord has His plans for all of us. I believe that once our work here is done, God calls us on to work that needs to be done elsewhere. I know lots of people who knew you are chuckling right now....thinking that you didn't work much for the Lord. They would be wrong in thinking that.

As cousins we certainly weren't as close as some...which is a shame. You were years older than I was, lived a fair distance away, and you were a grown adult when I was in elementary school. But, that didn't change how much I adored my cousin Wes. Going to Aunt Nancy's and Uncle Gordy's was always eagerly anticipated. I knew you would always be there with a hug and a smile and enough attention to shower on me and my brothers and sister. I knew you loved us, without a doubt. I will always remember motorcycle rides to the Circle K, walking on the ceilings, tickle torture, the biggest bear hugs, a smile and a laugh that could brighten stormy days...you were bigger than life to me! You touched the life of a child, showing me that optimism and attitude can turn life into an enjoyable journey.
After your graveside services we gathered in your honor at your brother Clint's and sister-in-law Sally's house. You would have loved the gathering. We missed you and your vivacious personality but, remembering you brought nothing but happiness to the souls of those in attendance. Your nieces and nephews were there, missing their uncle who loved them.
This next generation in the Kay family were there, playing, having a wonderful time, not knowing who they were missing, but knowing that we all cared about you deeply.

This little third cousin would make you proud....living life full speed ahead....I wish you had gotten to know him. He would have absolutely adored you!
Your sister, like you in so many ways, prayed at your graveside services. She hated doing it but, did it for you. She loves you and said saying good-bye was terrible.
Your mom misses you terribly...a little piece of her was missing. She put on a brave face and smiled at all of us but oh, how her heart is aching. Here are your uncles and aunt with your mom. She is leaning on them for support. We don't get these siblings together enough, notice that two are missing...I think that your death opened my eyes that these relationships need to be cherished. We should get together more than just as weddings or funerals. The last time I saw some of these people was at Grandma Kay's funeral.
We are missing too much...not saying the things that need to be said enough and sometimes holding grudges over things that won't matter after we are where you are. I wish you could come back for a bit and let us know how important that is. Although I think in life you imparted more than many of us know yet.
Your dad....misses you. He seemed so subdued....so sad that you were gone. He looks a little bit like himself in this picture but, he wishes you were here.
Everyone loved the beautiful video montage tribute Uncle Gordy made. It was so fun to watch. To see you as a little boy, so full of life even then. We remembered waterskiing, how much you adored children, your big smile and easy laugh, riding Harley's as a family (yours that is), and all the good things that you left us with. I bet you were there watching the tribute with us, enjoying it just as much as we were. Your big brother Clint misses you too, but reminded us all that your journey is still taking place; you are still moving forward.


So, maybe other think your life was full of fast living and fun or trials and regrets but, I don't think of any of those things when I think of you. I think of one of the happiest people I have ever known. I think of someone who made me think I was the most important person in your life every time you saw me. I think of someone who loved life and lived life like any moment could be the last. You will be missed and you are oh so loved by so many. Your presence is still felt here and I know you will always have made an impact on those of us who knew you and loved you. Good-bye for now Wes...I'll miss you.

1 comments:

nona

Would you send this to Sally. I don't think Nancy reads her e-mail but maybe Sally could pass it on to Nancy and Clint---It is so beautiful I would like them to have it. nona