Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Ghost of Christmas Past


Yes, this is the ghost of Christmas past! This is Abby and Nathan the Christmas of 2002. Abby was 2 and Nathan was 1 month. In posting this I was thinking back over some of my most memorable Christmases. My most memorable Christmas was when I was about 13. We had a family who lived in our ward in Bountiful. They had 6 kids, one of them was a boy my age and we had the same birthday. His dad lost his job in October and was still without work when Christmas time came around. My family and some friends of ours got together and planned to give this family a Christmas. We all bought presents for this family. My best friend, Amy Dana, and I had a great time shopping for this boy and for his little sisters. My mom bought a huge Turkey and a box full of food. We wrapped up all the presents. On Christmas Eve we drove the boxes over and silently unloaded them onto their front porch. We rang the door bell and ran like crazy. We hid behind some bushes and watched as the mom of this family opened the door. She stood in the front door with her hand over her mouth and cried. On the next fast Sunday she stood up and with tears spilling out her eyes and streaming down her cheeks, thanked those silent Christmas angels who brought their family Christmas. I will never forget her standing in the doorway. What a wonderful age to learn a valuable lesson that the feeling you get in giving is far more lasting than the feeling of receiving and having!!! And today, I can still feel the emotions I felt all those years ago. I hope all of you have happy Christmases past to recall at this time of year.

0 comments: