
Today we woke up to rain and clouds and cool weather. That doesn't really bother me at all however, the kids were a little disappointed. Especially since today was an "off" day for all electronic equipment--(other than movies). So, I decided today was a great day to explore one of Ogden's sites that I have known about for years but never gone to. We loaded up and went to the Union Station. The kids seemed excited to go, I was a little nervous as my kids don't always fare well at museums. However, today we were well rewarded on our museum excursion.

The Union Station has a railyard. The kids can get up on the trains and take a look at them. We didn't stay long here as the rain and wet drove us inside. However, they definately want to go back to explore more of the engines, freight cars, passenger trains and more. Inside they have the Dumke Rail Museum. The kids LOVED it. They stayed and stayed and after two hours, it was me who was begging to go for a change. Abby particularly liked the Caboose, pretending to be a conductor. Nathan loved the engine, practicing his engineer skills, pulling knobs and levers and of course tooting the horn. Gavin also enjoyed the engine and caboose. They also liked the morse code/telegraph exhibit and of course, they loved following the model trains through California, Nevada, and Utah. They couldn't get enough.

Upstairs was the John Browning Rifle and Gun Museum. I thought Nathan would really love all the rifles on exhibit however, Abby turned out to be the gun enthusiast! We were the only ones there so the docent walked us through and answered question after question for Abby. She was particularly drawn to the big machine guns that they used in World War II on planes and ships and tanks. I was amazed at how long she wanted to stay and look at each and every gun and learn all she could about them...I guess the saying that "boys will be boys" doesn't always apply!!! Overall, we had a great afternoon and I was of course thrilled that I felt I provided my kids an opportunity to learn while having fun!
1 comments:
what a wonderful chance to have fun while learning. It's cool that Abby liked guns so much, I would have never pictured it.
Post a Comment