
Some of you have been asking for an Ethan update. He is now nearly 7 weeks old. He weighs 12 lbs 4 oz. The other kids are adjusting very well. Abby loves to help whenever she can and Nathan is a proud and careful big brother. Gavin loves him nearly to death...climbing on him, kissing him repeatedly leaving little wet or sticky marks all over his face and head, holding his hand, pushing him "higher" in his swing because he likes it and so on. Actually, I can't leave Ethan unattended at all for fear that Gavin would inadvertantly hurt him. Gavin still has his jealous moments of the baby. I know when Gavin needs his time because he climbs on top of me and wants to snuggle or tells me to "put it (referring to Ethan) down." I wish Ethan was doing as well as the rest of my kids.

However, 95% of his awake time is spent like this. I feel so helpless most of the time. I have never had a continually fussy baby. He spits up after EVERY feeding and then gets hiccups, both of which drive him furiously crazy. His tummy is constantly growling and rumbling and he acts like he is uncomfortable most of the time. At nights he gets into these modes of crying that almost seem like crying frenzies to me.

We took him to the ped to see what might be the problem. He told me to take all dairy out of my diet. I did so which seemed to help a little, but didn't completely take care of the problem. He also prescribed some Zantac for reflux but still, Ethan cries most of his awake periods. I feel so bad for him. Sometimes I feel a little frustrated and overwhelmed. Mostly I just wish I could make him happy.

Once in a while he is calm and happy. His little smile is precious when you can get it out of him. During his calm times he loves to swing in his swing. He also loves to be carried in his Snugli pack facing out so he can see and he really likes to be outdoors, as long as he isn't in his stroller. He prefers to sleep in bed with me, snuggling right in. He is fairly tempermental and doesn't adjust well to confusion or too much stimulation. His little spirit is sweet and gentle. I hope that his poor little tummy adjusts soon to earth life and that his digestive system and nervous system mature so that he can enjoy us a little more and we can enjoy his calmer side more frequently. We love him and the strong little spirit he has brought into our family. We will be blessing him the first Sunday in December for those of you who would like to come. Give us a call or email for directions if you need them!!
3 comments:
Oh what a sweet poor little guy. Ryanna had reflux really bad and was on prevacid for a few months. Just yesterday my close friend here in Vernal was telling me her 6 week old was having tummy problems making the poor little baby miserable. Her mom who is a nurse recommended she try something called "gripe water" which can be bought at health food stores. She said she can't believe what a difference this has made so it might be worth looking into. Good luck!
Oh My! I'm so sorry these first few weeks have been a rough road. It sounds like you are on the right road with the reflux treatments. Let me know if it doesn't improve. My SIL's baby had the hardest time and hardly ever slept. They finally figured out what to do to help with the spit up, crying, and reflux. I'll call her if you want me to. Her baby was night and day different after they started him on these meds. Anyway, hang in there and good luck!
Oh Nicole, I am so sorry! It is so hard. If it helps I know Exactly how you feel. It might feel hopeless but it does get better. And sooner than you think. Just take a break as much as you can, even just for fresh air, alone- thats the only thing that got me though. He is sure a little cutie though- even when he crys :)
Hang in there, it'll pass...eventually. We'll be at the blessing, can't wait to meet him!
Post a Comment