Thursday, March 26, 2009

Night Night!!

About a week ago I decided it was time to introduce Ethan to a bedtime routine. I always hate this age when I have to let them "cry it out". However, I have learned from previous experience that putting them down while slightly awake and letting them fuss for a bit in their crib will make them champion little sleepers in the long run. For my other kids it only took about 2 or 3 nights of crying until they didn't cry anymore. Ethan has other plans. He LOVES mommy. He doesn't like me to be out of his sight for too long. When he is hungry or tired NO ONE else can take my place. We are going on a week now of taking him into his room, putting him in his crib, turning on his lights and music show, tucking him in and telling him night night and walking out. The first night he cried for about 45 minutes....that is excruciating for me. His time has definitely gotten shorter for the crying but his intensity has really picked up!! He starts his crying the minute we walk in his room now and starts clutching at my clothes. After I put him down and turn his music and lights on he is wailing. Last night he was picking both feet up and banging them down as hard as he could on his mattress....talk about a temper!!! Poor little guy just likes to have things his way. I'm sure we'll all live through it. I just hope it is sooner rather than later!

4 comments:

Lisa

Hang in there Nik -- strong minds in little bodies, grow up to be great people that do great things! Give each of the kids a good nite kiss for me.

Chad and Barbi's family

My first one cried for 3 hours staight. 45 minutes is pretty good. Good luck with it. My peditrician said 10 pounds or two months, whatever comes first and they are okay to cry it out. I hope it gets better for you.

Emily

Dallin cried for 3 hours for 4 months. All our doctor could say was we got a stubborn one and good luck with that. Ug! Definitely a neccesary but not fun part of the parenting ride. I wish you the best!

Rachel

It's the hardest thing ever! Stay strong- it's so worth it!