Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Deck the Halls and Trim the Tree

Here is our decking the halls and trimming the tree party. This year we hosted a family Sunday dinner...yes, we had to bribe family members to get help with putting the tree up!:) My uncle Gordy, Kris and James helped me put up the tree and shape all the branches. James and Kris and Bob put the lights on. We had a fight over who would put the angel on top...we decided both Abby and Nathan should do it!!
The kids had a great time putting the decorations on. Nearly every ornament on our tree, other than the balls, have some sort of sentimental value to them. The kids enjoy finding "theirs" and explaining why that ornament hangs on the tree. We have hearts for Abby's heart surgery, 1st Christmases for each child's first Christmas, two decorations we got at our wedding, a nativity made of wood from the Holy Land (Thanks Emily!!!!), Bountiful Temple ornaments made from olive wood from Jerusalem as well....the list could go on and on. I love to look at each ornament and remember who gave it to us and why!!
We even put a rather large construction paper Grinch that Abby made at school in 1st grade and a a few other school made decorations. My parents always proudly displayed my little homemade decorations and while they may not be the prettiest, I love that my kids get so excited when I put them up. We also have some old salt dough decorations that Justin made with his sweet little Grandma Southwick when he was just a little boy. They hang on our tree as well. While our tree may not be the prettiest...it means a lot to us!
It got the thumbs up from James and we all had a great time putting it up!! However, I must admit I will need to hit the after Christmas sales this year as Gavin has already been doing a nice job of breaking the balls and even some of the plastic ornaments I figured he couldn't break!!

1 comments:

Our Corner

Thanks for inviting us over for that. James and i had a lot of fun. I love tree's with sentimental value. It helps bring out the Christmas spirit that much more. :)