This wonderfully fantastic tale just melts my heart. I love it!! You must love a book that opens like this:"The Herdmans were absolutely the worst kids in the history of the world. They lied and stole and smoked cigars (even the girls) and talked dirty and hit little kids and cussed their teachers and took the name of the Lord in vain and set fire to Fred Shoemaker's old broken-down toolhouse."
Who doesn't know a family just like the Herdmans? And if you do, this little gem will make you stop and think...and realize that beneath most hard and rough surfaces a little bit of angel can be found!
This is a cute little Christmas tale and one that not only reinforces the beauty of Christ's birth but also the far reaching effects of his life and death. This is a great read to reinforce Jesus' divine mission, especially for children.
I love this tale of loss and finding love to fill the loss. It is tender and touching. (The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey)
Okay, so the writing may not be a masterpiece but the story is fun, interesting and thought provoking. One year my mom read this book to the family, playing the music at all the right places, and the experience was memorable. You have to love old John and Constance. A whole range of values and Christmas morals are reinforced in this tale.
For those of you who have ever spent time at Primary Children's Medical Center, this book is sure to touch you. While the story is poignant and well told, the feeling of the book is even stronger. For those who haven't spent time at the hospital, the story is still sure to pull at your heart strings and remind you that God loves all his children. (The Angel of 11th Avenue by Roy Bates)
This little story is the first of Richard Paul Evans books. While his stories are many, I love the simplicity and touching sentiment of this, his first tale. This story touches the reader and helps me in analyzing relationships and holding them dear.
The tale is so well known that most people know it well. We have seen Mickey Mouse, George C. Scott, Patrick Stewart, Kermit the Frog, George Jetson, Fred Flintstone, Kelsey Grammar and Jason Alexander, and many others act it out. However, if you haven't read the book you are missing a truly enjoyable reading. I try to make time to read it every year and was pleased that Abby picked it up and read it this year!!
This is actually a short story by O Henry but can be found in volumes and books as well. This is one of my all time favorite stories and leaves me happy and reminded that giving gifts with love, no matter how large or small, leaves us wiser and happier.
The immortal classic tale, now commemorated by Tom Hanks in a delightful movie has been a family favorite in my house since I was a child. I love this story and its simple reminder to believe...believe in the magic and spirit of Christmas! The bell still rings for me, does it for you???:)There it is...do you have any great Christmas stories you like to read? I'd love to hear what they are!!


5 comments:
What a great collection!! I love the Best Christmas pageant, and the tale of three trees is a wonderful story! I recognize most of the others, but Dickens, of course, is my favorite.
p.s. - keep your eyes peeled for a lovely, patriotically decorated box which should be coming to you from your friendly, neighborhood postal carrier in the next few days!! The blankie is on its way!
This is the first year I have shared The Best Christmas Pageant Ever with the kids. I'm sure it will now be a yearly tradition since it is one of the best Christmas books ever!
I am so glad you did this because sadly enough I don't know too many good Christmas stories and I'm suppost to be sharing one at a family party. I better get reading all of these! And I can't wait!
Our book club read "Two from Galilee". By Marjorie Holmes for Christmas. This is a beautifully written love story of Mary and Joseph. The historical setting in Jerusalem was great. It is a simple read and I devoured the book. You know stay up until 2-3 a.m. because you can't put it down.
I've actually never read "The Christmas Box" but that same author has a book called "The Christmas Jar." It is AMAZING! I absolutely love that one..so I recommend that one if you haven't already read it. I LOVE "The Littliest Angel" too! My Grandma gave me that book when I was young and I've always loved it. There are a few on your list I haven't read so I'll have to do that..plus there's another one I want to recommend to you..but my brain is gone so once I find it I'll let you know what it is called! Have a happy day! Lataz~Love always, Kasey
Post a Comment