
Okay, I admit it...I actually bought a harness for my child. For those of you who think these are degrading and wrong for a child, wait until you have one like Gavin. He will break free any chance he gets and run wildly away, laughing at you while you try to catch him. Imagine my panic when he did this in a WalMart parking lot the other day. In a split second he could easily have been run over!!! Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment for both older boys. I would also have Ethan with me. I hate dragging the double stroller up to the doctor's office and then having it fill up the entire exam room. I decided the only way I would be able to control my 2-year-old without the stroller was to have him attached to me. So we bought the Eddie Bauer backpack buddy bear. Did it make my life easier??? Yes and no. At first he loved it. We made it through the parking garage, up the elevators in the parking garage, into the hospital, down the long hallway, into the elevator in the hospital, down the long hallway and into the doctor's office fairly easily. I was thinking, "hey, this is actually working." However, after the appointment, Gavin realized that he wasn't free anymore to run willy nilly. He quickly realized that once he ran to the end of the slack, he could sit down or lie down, causing me all sorts of trouble. So, while I appreciated him being connected to me so he couldn't run away (his favorite new game when we are out) I wish they made some kind of control that made it so he couldn't sit or lie down, which made me feel like I was dragging an obstinate dog along instead of an obstinate child. Well, until they make some way for mom's will to overcome kid's wills...I guess the bear backpack buddy will have to do!!
5 comments:
There is a reason you have 3 boys, you have the patience and love for energy. I will bet Gavin has what we call "the eyes", they dance with merriment and draw you into whatever adventure is going on behind the eyes. We love guys with "the eyes". I married one. And life has been very full!
This post made me laugh so hard. I can see Gavin doing that. Hopefully he gets batter so you dont have to drag him everywhere. :)
Oh my gosh I can't believe he learned to sit or lie down- smart kid! I can't judge anyone for having a leash and anyone that would clearly hasn't been around toddlers very much! Hopefully you wont have to drag your puppy around too much :)
I remember when I was single and I saw a Mom toting several children and one was on a similar leash. I immediately thought she must not be a very good Mom if she couldn't even control her own kids.....boy was I an ignorant snot. I've owned my baby leash for 6 months now and it has been a life saver (especially in the airport)! Don't worry - I now see it has a tool for parents to keep their toddlers safe. :)
Been there-done that,remember the feeling! It brought back good memories, only I bought one at Target that was not nearly as cute-we were flying to Chicago and I had nightmares of loosing Bridger, then 3 in the airport. Luckily, he stayed attached to me and we all made it home- By the way, because I saw you loved the movie, Something the Lord Hath Made, we decided to check it out-GREAT FLICK!!! Hope all is well with you and yours!!!
Post a Comment