Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunshine

Dear Abby,
Nine years ago you made me a mom. I had no idea how my life would change the moment they placed you in my arms. You were a beautiful baby with black curly hair and dark blue eyes. I know I am your mom and a bit biased but I truly have never seen a more beautiful baby than you, my little china doll. Even your daddy agrees you were beautiful and he doesn't think very many newborns are that cute!! What a miracle from heaven you are and how grateful I am that you are here with us. Although we had a rough go of things early on, I wouldn't trade those early days and months of your life for anything. Your connection with the spirit was so strong and I know we had angels watching over you constantly. I could feel their presence and protection daily. You were a blessed baby and you touched everyone you came in contact with. Those hours and days in the hospital together are some of my fondest memories. Holding you, pacing the little rooms with you, praying over you, holding your tiny hands...and so many more. How grateful I am you were a fighter. Your spunk and strong will helped keep you here. I thank Heavenly Father in every prayer I give that you are with us!
You were the most delightful little girl. You were so full of spunk and curiosity. Although your body is tiny, your exuberance for life more than made up for it. Your little voice was a joy to hear! You spoke in complete and clear sentences very early and began singing as well. At 15 months you loved to watch Pocahontas and sang every word clearly to "Just Around the River Bend." By two you could sing "Phantom of the Opera" word for word and exactly on pitch!

You were a happy little girl and very rarely did we see you frown, cry, or become upset. I know that I couldn't get enough of you and the sunshine you brought into my life. You truly are my sunshine!!!

Nona called you her angel and to this day you are still her angel. She would sit with you on her lap for hours on the back porch. Do you remember? You loved sitting there with her. She spent nearly as much time at the hospital with you as I did. She was there with us through all the ups and downs. In fact, I couldn't have made it through those agonizing days without your daddy and your nona. She will always always hold a special place in her heart for you, her earth angel. Don't forget that your grumpy adores you as well, in fact he may adore you a little too much:)! In his eyes you can do no wrong!

Grandma Louise loved you dearly. She couldn't wait to see you and you loved her in return. I hope you always remember playing restaurant with her at her round table in the basement and playing at her dressing table with the ivory brush and mirror. She doted over you and always remarked how smart and remarkably bright you were. She was so proud of you playing the violin just like her dad did. I can honestly say you were her pride and joy!

You have touched the lives of so many people just by being you. You have aunts and uncles and grandparents who love to be with you because of the spark you have inside. Don't ever let that spark go out. It radiates and shines from within you as long as you keep it protected. People will continue to gravitate toward you just as they have your whole life through.

I hope you will always continue to nurture your love for music. You truly have a gift for all things musical that, at times, I envy just a bit. Your voice is beautiful and your ability with any instrument you have ever played is amazing. From playing "Ode to Joy" on the recorder to your piano talent, you truly have a gift that brings joy to not only you but those of us lucky enough to hear your music.

Thank you for being a great big sister. I know it isn't always easy being the oldest and the only girl. At times I expect more from you than I should and you always plug along without complaining too much. Your sass came along later in life but I am even thankful for that as well. A little sass goes a long way and, I know that it will be hard for anyone to sway you unless you let them. Know that no matter what, I love you with all my heart. You bring so much happiness into my life just the way you are. Sometimes we may butt heads but I wouldn't want you to be any different than just the way you are!

Parts of the last nine years have seemed an eternity and parts of it have flown by too quickly. My beautiful sunshine, you are growing up quickly and while I love to see you spreading your wings, a part of me wishes you could stay young forever. Thank you for the remarkable you that you are! How awed I am that I was chosen as your mother. You are an amazing young girl and I love watching you grow a little more every day towards an amazing young woman. Don't grow up too fast. Remember the words to one of your favorite songs, "You're gonna miss this. You're gonna want this back. You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by too fast." Your daddy and brothers love you, their princess! I hope you know how much I love you not because you are beautiful or smart or talented but just because you are my Abby, my sunshine. How blessed I am to know you!!
Love,
Mom




3 comments:

nona

AMEN!!! Abby will always be my earthly ANGEL. There is no way to explain Abigayle. If you don't know her and her story, you could never understand just what a remarkable spirit she has. She has literally changed my life and brought me closer to my Savior. It is true that blessings come with trials and through all the heartaches of Abby's health has come more blessings than I can count. Thank You my little Angel for being you and being such a special girl. I LOVE YOU!!!!

Rachel

Happy Birthday Abby!! You are such a beautiful and sweet little girl!! That surprise party looks so fun!

Cathy Christiansen

This blog is so sweet and I loved seeing all your family pictures, especially Abby's. It's so fun to know she is playing piano now! Tell her hi for me. You will have to check out my new "Marlor Music Studio" blog sometime. I'll be adding group pictures of my students soon so Abby will be in a few. Keep up the good work, Nicole. 4 kids, music lessons, sports, and a wonderful family blog - WOW!