Saturday, March 15, 2008

9 Years Together!!

Well, I have been amiss at posting!! I apologize!! For those of you who have ever caught the flu while you are pregnant, you know exactly why I haven't been posting!! I have been sick for a few weeks now and am just starting to feel a little better!! March 13th was our ninth anniversary!! I was very sick and Justin bought me some beautiful flowers. However, I admit I stayed in bed the whole day!! We are going out tonight to the Air Force ball and dinner at the Garden. I am excited for the evening, especially since I love the Garden.
On our nine year anniversary I wanted to take a minute to post about my wonderful husband! I feel lucky all the time that I found him. I can honestly say that the past nine years have been wonderful. We still get along wonderfully and he is the person I most like to spend my time with. I admire the way he supplies for his family and does whatever is neccessary to make sure we are taken care of. He is responsible and dedicated to his role as husband, father and provider. What a blessing for me. I am so grateful he sacrifices so I can raise my children. Justin is a wonderful problem solver!! When a problem arises, he works it out until he finds a solution. If he can't find a solution, he makes a solution. He loves the kids tremendously and I have always felt so lucky to have found a man who was a naturally great daddy!!

After nine years I have learned a few things about marriage as well. My wedding day was absolutely PERFECT!! It was everything I had ever dreamed of and I was the type of girl who had notebooks put together of dresses and flowers and I had certain ideas in my head of how my wedding would be, from the dessert table, to the atmosphere at the reception. My day was everything I had hoped for (thanks in big part to parents and family members who made it so special). We were given lots of good advice on different ways to keep a marriage strong...you know, after the honeymoon wears off you need to communicate, pray together, keep close to each other, never go to bed mad. I am sure we haven't kept all that good advice 100% off the time!! However, I have learned that when trials arise there are only two ways to face it. You can work together and through it or you can pull apart and look to somewhere else for your support. Working together through problems has cemented our marriage together!! Relying on each other for the main source of support has been a blessing in our lives. Going through what we did with Abby, was a huge trial we faced 10 months after our marriage. In so many ways her birth, heart problems, bladder reflux, and other problems tested our marriage to the limits. Justin was a rock and supplied me with a tremendous amount of support. Going through the experience with him was a blessing as he was always there when I needed him. I think the main thing I have learned is that in a marriage, God wants us to put our spouses first and foremost. Thus we leave our families and cleave unto each other. What a wonderful plan God has for us. How grateful I am for Justin who puts me first and has taught me how to work together!!! Thanks Justin!! I love you!

1 comments:

nona

I just want to add an AMEN to everything Nik have said. I count Justin as one of MY biggest blessings. I can't imagine a better son in law--or more importantly I can't imagine a better husband for my daughter or a better father for my grand kids. I hear so many stories from woman who are helpless when their grand kids are abused or treated badly--I always think how lucky I am to have such a great guy watching over the most important people in our family. Our grand kids are the future of any family. The way those kids are raised will determine the direction of the next generation of the whole family. I love you Justin too. I want to add one memory of Justin on probably the worst day in his life. It was actually the worst day in our family. We had just been told at Primary Children's Hospital that Abby would probably die. I tried so hard to stay strong because I could see how much Nicole was suffering. Inside my heart was breaking. It was so hard to watch my child in that kind of pain plus having the pain I was feeling at the possibility of losing this precious child. I took this little family home--we had all gone together in one car. I got everyone settled and left. Justin followed me to the car. Before I got in the car he put his arms around me and I broke down. He just said "It will be alright". I was amazed. This young boy who had taken on so much in the past year was comforting me. I was the one who should be strong. I was older and been through lots in life. But nothing as painful as this. I often think back on that day and wonder if he really knew everything would be O.K. I guess it doesn't matter. What matters is my love and respect for this wonderful husband father and son.