Monday, October 22, 2007

Heroes




We had a family home evening on Heroes from the scriptures. Abby and Nathan excitedly awaited the arrival of 2 "mystery guests". When they realized they would be the guests themselves, they were so excited. Nathan was Captain Moroni. He had a great time ripping up one of Justin's old shirts and writing the Title of Liberty on it. He then rode around the room rallying his soldiers to "take up their cause" and fight for freedom. While he still loves Nephi, I hope that he can get a few more heroes from the scriptures. When I first asked him who his heroes were he told me "Optimus Prime and Bumblebee" (Transformers). Well, I guess a boy can have his other heroes as well. He did add Nephi and Captain Moroni to his hero list by the end of the FHE lesson!!
Abby was Mary, mother of Jesus. She played the part wonderfully and hopefully gained a greater appreciation for Mary as a person and not just an iconic mother holding a baby Jesus in a Christmas picture. At the beginning of the Lesson her hero list comprised Jesus, her dad and her mom. She went around the whole rest of the night being Mary. We couldn't find a baby doll for the Baby Jesus so she just used her stuffed dog.
As I look around our world today I am so scared that my children may grow up finding role models in people like Brittany Spears, Paris Hilton, Kobe Bryant, Tom Cruise.....the list could go on and on. Not that I hate those people, I just would be heartbroken if my precious little ones aspired to be like them or somehow found their lives appealing. I am hoping that by giving them some options, maybe they will find role models in others whose lives were governed by virtues and morality.

0 comments: