Monday, August 25, 2008

1st Day of School Timeline

Sunday 8:30 PM--I meant to have the kids in bed by this time, however, we are still driving home from dinner at my parent's house.



Sunday 9:30 PM--I finally get the kids into bed. Later than I wanted but not too bad for us night owls.



Sunday 10:30 PM--I happily fall into bed.



Monday 1:00 AM--I am awakened by Abby standing by my bedside. I blink my eyes open and see that she is completely dressed, shoes and all! I send her back to bed, even though she asks if she can read until school starts. NO! I send her back to bed. Need to visit the bathroom being 7 1/2 months pregnant. I notice the lights are on downstairs. I go down and she is sitting in her room. I finally get her back in bed with the lights off and go back upstairs to bed.



Monday 7:00 AM--Gavin wakes up and Abby has apparently turned off her alarm and gone back to sleep. I get her up and she starts getting dressed. I vaguely recall her telling me at 1:00 that the sticker on her outfit won't come off. I look at the "2 Piece Set" sticker and realize it is really stuck on...like when you accidentally run a sticker through the dryer on a shirt. Well, we of course must scramble to find a new and suitable replacement 1st day outfit.



Monday 7:20 AM--I start cooking breakfast as I don't have enough milk for cereal!! French Toast for everyone. Abby does her hair.



Monday 7:55 AM-- Abby relays her concern and nervousness for today. She is attending a new school in a little bit more of a challenging program designed for kids who are advanced and she is very nervous about not being able to keep up and not having any friends to play with or eat with. She receives a Father's Blessing.



Monday 8:00 AM-- The whole family loads in the car. We get two blocks away and realize we don't have the checkbook to pay for school lunch. We turn around, go back to the house and grab the checkbook.



Monday 8:15 AM-- Arrive at the school to complete pandemonium. This is the first year this school is open. It houses 800 students, including the students from the ALA (Abby's program). Cars, parents, kids....no sense of order and chaos everywhere. Dad takes Abby in and pays lunch while I circle around until he gets back out!




Monday 8:25 AM-- Abby has been deposited safely! Whew!! We go home and I worry all day about her concerns about having no friends. All day long I am finding myself saying little prayers that Abby will please find at least one friend and have a good day!! I can't bear the thought of her sitting alone at lunch or standing as an outsider on the playground.



Monday 2:30 PM--We anxiously return to the pandemonium. Abby sees my car and I am relieved to see a big smile on her face. She has a friend in her class that got admitted to the same program from last year's school. She likes the new school....I am relieved. Thanks to answered prayers!!! Now we just get to do it all over again for Nathan's first day of kindergarten, at a different school, on Thursday!

2 comments:

Rachel

that is so sweet how abby was ready in the middle of the night! totally takes me back to my 1st days, so nerve wracking! of course you have all the mishaps on an important day, so funny! im glad she likes her new school. is that the one with the airplane sticking out? she looks adorable in her replacement outfit! thanks for making me feel better about not being to church yet. speaking of church, we are blessing Cal next week and would love it if you guys could come! its at 9. i'll give you directions if you can come. hope to see you! Sorry about the novel.

Our Corner

I was thinking about Abby all day yesterday and was wondering if she was liking school. I was going to call her when I got home...but forgot when I saw our dumpy house and remembered my parents are coming this weekend. I'm glad she had a great first day.