Wednesday, August 20, 2008

FHE Exchange????

I find that on Monday about 3:00 or 4:00 PM I am scrambling for family home evening ideas. I have found some fun lessons and activities my kids really like and I have obviously found that some of the lessons and activities fall flat! I absolutely love the spirit that is present in our home when we hold FHE regularly and I always feel good knowing I am following the prophets counsel and helping keep my little famly fortified against the world. I was thinking that it might be fun to have this topic every now and then and maybe we could exchange ideas. Let each other know what worked, didn't work, what was fun and what wasn't, what specific ideas you've found for certain topics...etc. I am always trying to compile new ideas and I would love input from others if any of my readers are in for it!! So, for my first FHE exchange I will share one of my kids favorites!!

Family Home Evening Mystery Guest:

I gather together some fun dress up clothes/props with a certain scriptural character in mind. For my kids we always have two guests (usually a female and a male). I put the clothes in bags or baskets. I try to have 6-8 items. We go one at a time and the kids pull out one item at a time putting it on. As each item is pulled out we have a clue as to who the guest is. For example, when Captain Moroni was one of our guests we had a sword, shield, helmet, appropriate clothing, and one of dad's old shirts. As each item was pulled out by Nathan and put on I read a clue such as: I was a captain of the Nephite armies, I wrote the Title of Liberty...etc. After Nathan was dressed up and the "guest" was guessed, we ripped up daddies old shirt and "wrote" the Title of Liberty. Then Abby takes her turn. We then have a parade and then talk about the virtues we can learn from each scriptural hero.

This is fun for my kids and fairly easy for me. We try to have this once every couple months or so and the kids absolutely love it!! It has really helped them come to identify and learn about the prophets and scriptural heroes. In fact, Nathan adores Nephi and it all started from this simple FHE. Can't think of a better hero for my little guy to have! If any of you have ideas that have worked I would love to hear them. Email me or post em!!! Hope to hear from some of you!

3 comments:

Our Corner

What a great idea. Your "mystery guest" sounds like a lot of fun.

Rachel

i was just thinking how we need to start doing fhe so i dont have anything for you but i would love to hear more of your good ideas! :)

Kendria

Hi Nikki! I hope you don't mind that I read your blog - you have some great thoughts and I like to see how your family is doing. I just wanted to tell you about a neat thing I learned when I was primary pres...the primary program outline for the year (available free at the church dist. centers) that they use to teach the concepts and songs for the annual program is a wonderful resource. The ideas for sharing times in it are great FHE's and the songs can be sung to help them learn them better for Sunday singing too...just thought I'd share! :0)