Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!!!

This is my darling Gavin! He's adorable right. He has such a pretty face that up until a couple months ago when we got his haircut everyone called him a girl, even when wearing footballs and dinosaurs. His bright blue eyes are adorable and he is extremely social and personable. Everwhere we go people tell me how darling he is and what a cute little boy he is. I politely smile and say thank you! However, I must warn you that underneath this angel exterior is somewhat of a monster just waiting to burst out!!!! Don't believe me? Remember the gallon of paint he dumped out? (see January 31, 2008 post "Look at him in his cute little boots" post for a refresher!) Remember the permanent marker all over my dining room set, floor and coffee table? In the last 24 hours these have been his antics:
*Got into some markers...I know because they were all over his arms and face. Where the marker is however, I have yet to discover.
*Squeezed part of a tube of toothpaste all over my contact case and the bathroom floor. This was a repeat episode of toothpaste squeezing from a couple months ago.
*Bit Nathan on the nose. Hit Nathan in the face with a toy sword.
*Unloaded all the books from the bookcase and then the movies from the movie stand...a very common occurrence.
*Dumped the poor fish bowl off the piano sending fish water, bowl marbles, a fish bowl and a fish sprawling all over the side of the piano, wall and floor (not to mention all over my pillow and my grandma's antique rocking chair)! We were able to save the poor fish.
*Unloaded all my magazines from the magazine rack, using them as slip and slides of sorts. They are now more or less unreadable.

Yes, these are all in a typical day's work for Gavin. We have gone through finding him dumping out ant poison, spraying anything in a spray bottle, shampoo, lotion, diaper rash cream, spaghetti noodles...if it can be made a mess of on a floor, wall or window, you name it he has probably done it! You may be wondering why I don't watch him better. I wonder that myself daily however, I also have other kids, a house to run and am very pregnant right now. I usually find myself cleaning up one mess to have Abby or Nathan come tell me about the next one. He never seems distraught when getting disciplined. On the contrary, he seems to enjoy it. He is always quick with a love and a kiss when he knows I am on the verge of screaming, tears, running away, locking myself in the bathroom (the only room with a lock), or having a breakdown. When he snuggles up next to me and hugs it all better, what am I to do? I just melt. Maybe he isn't a wolf in sheep's clothing after all, just a very curious and energetic little boy who deep down loves his mommy!!

5 comments:

Jen

good luck to you - at least you will have a reason for your white hair.

Emily

Is there a third child syndrome that I was uninformed about before I got myself one? We have these same issues with #3. (I gets me even more when #1 and #2 are watching and don't put a stop to it!)

JOSH AND ANGELA

Oh the work of your "little scientist" who is learning and developing with each disaster! I once read about children being "little scientists" in a child development book. It purports that children this age explore and learn so many scientific principles by exploration that may seem like they are being naughty but they are just learning how the world works. Just think of all the physical science courses he has already taken with each mess you are cleaning up behind him (lessons in gravity, Newtons Laws of Motion, spacial relevance and depth perception, causal reactions, color absorption and osmosis, not to mention expression of his inner Picasso!) :) With child #1 and #2 it is easier to hedge off the little scientist's experiments or keep them more controlled... all bets are off when you have more children then you have hands!!

Leake's

Oh the days of mischeaveous, energetic, exploring, curiousity seekers that are only 2 feet tall. Keep smiling at all the challenges and that cute little face in sheep's clothing, they get big and less messy.

Our Corner

Gavin's such a cutie. It's like you can actually see him coming up with some kind of plan in those blue eyes of his. Probably abother one that will require a mess for mom to clean up. :p As always if you need any help give us a call we're here for ya. :)