Friday, August 29, 2008

Spread Your Wings Kiddo!!

Well, the day came at last. I find that I both hate and love the first day of kindergarten for my kids. It is so exciting to see them spreading their wings and learning new things and being presented with new opportunities. But, I also feel a little bit of emptiness as they say good-bye and walk happily away into the classroom for this new adventure. How quick this day comes.
I start to wonder if I've taught them enough of the values and morals that will be so important for them as they try to fight their way through the years of peers and education that is ahead of them. I also worry that very soon, peers thoughts and ideas will become just as important as mommy and daddies ideas. And soon after that, I'm sure peers ideas and thoughts will become even more important than our ideas. How I hope he's ready to hold fast to truth and values.
Right now however, all I have to do is take it day by day! His first day, he actually said he sort of wanted to come home and he struggled through his homework which consisted of tracing his name six times. Oh the patience required for such an arduous task in his busy busy mind. We made it through it together however and he seemed excited to go back to his second day. He is a little overwhelmed by SO many rules, a little put out that a couple kids got called to go to a Wowie Wow party and he didn't (even though he was reminded that eventually every child would get to go as they are held every Friday.), and excited to have so many fun children to play with at recess. Overall, I'd say he is handling it well. It is fun to see how each child is different. Nathan is nothing like Abby. He is nervous about getting in trouble and being embarrassed and has a hard time with all the patience required for going to school! Hang in there little buddy, you'll get the hang of it soon!

4 comments:

AMy

oh, the first day of school...one can never forget those days. It is all about that first day outfit and the new school supplies...I kinda miss those days. The first day of the semester is not so charming :)

Rachel

he is so cute and you are such a good mom! so the blessing is tomorrow at 9am. Paul called Justin and left a message with the directions. we are having everyone over at our house after for "breakfast" i hope you guys can make it!! if you have any questions i think paul left his number.

Kasey

Oh how fun for him! I'm really glad he was excited to go back. I can't believe I'll be doing that in about 5 years! I wonder how I'll feel on that day! Nathan's such a sweet kid I'm sure he will make friends and do good! I'm so glad Abby did well on her first day and that she had a friend she already knew! That makes it better for kids I think. Have a happy day! Lataz~Love always, Kasey

Our Corner

How is Gavin doing with not having the kids around during the day? I'm glad that Nathan enjoys school. He's such a fun little guy he'll make tons of friends in no time. :)