Monday, February 25, 2008

Sunday Thoughts

I decided a few days ago it was time I got my life more organized. I felt like I was always living in clutter and disarray. We couldn't find things we needed at times and I was always tripping over kids toys!!! Well, I decided to first turn to the scriptures for help with this endeavor. The first scripture I looked up was the often quoted "Organize yourselves. Prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;" D&C 88:119. After I read this the phrase "prepare every needful thing" stood out to me. I began to ponder on what are needful things. I made a mental list of all the needful things in running a house. I thought of the grocery shopping, the laundry, the cooking, the cleaning....all the things housewives do. Suddenly, I felt compelled to read the story of Martha and Mary. I flipped over to it and read it. As Martha is scurrying about, serving her guests a meal and carrying out all the preparations, she is upset that Mary is sitting at Jesus feet listening to Him. Upon Martha's complaint to Jesus he tells her, "Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things; But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part which shall not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41-42. Well, it hit me, I am Martha--troubled about many things but not focusing on what is needful. The one thing Christ tells us is needful is coming to Him. Well, looking back at the first scripture I realized that it doesn't imply let your house be a mess. However, I learned that if we put Christ first in our lives and establish a house of prayer and fasting and learning then the orgainzing and order will come naturally. I find it easy to keep a clean and orderly house because the Lord loves cleanliness. I don't worry about what the neighbors think or guests in my house, only what the Lord thinks. Well, my house is not spotless but a much more content and orderly place to be.

2 comments:

Our Corner

It's a great blessing to have the Lord in our lives in all we do. Thank You for this wonderful reminder. :)

Rachel

hey nicole, this is rachel. I am so glad to have found your blog! mostly because you are so inspiring :) your family is so cute.