I become more and more disillusioned as this year's race to the White House draws near an end. Our Congress and elected officials in Washington can't even seem to come together to keep America out of a looming depression. I am shocked that our political system is so dysfunctional that Democrats and Republicans can no longer work together for the good of the people. Our two choices for President are dismal at best. I know, those of you reading who are die hard Republicans (as I considered myself a mere 5 or 6 months ago) think McCain and Palin are the way. Those of you reading this who are die hard Democrats think Obama and Biden are sure to fix all the countries problems with their "Change" mantra, nothing short of true rainmakers!! I can't really look to media sources such as newspaper, internet news or news coverage to tell me the truth as I feel all of them have a hidden agenda and candidate they sometimes quietly and sometimes openly support. In looking at the candidates voting records on issues that are important to me I am discouraged that neither candidate espouses my ideals and opinions. I can't in good conscious vote for a man who feels live birth abortion is acceptable (as I find it hideous and right out murder) and that implementing a universal health plan is the way to go. I have a daughter who has enough medical issues that universal health care is scary!! We already wait a while to see her specialists, I can only imagine the nightmare we would face once our health care system is more or less socialized! I also can't vote for a man who voted for the Patriot Act, an act that took little chunks out of our civil rights to privacy, or who introduced legislation to grant immediate amnesty to 11 million illegal aliens, not to mention McCain-Feingold, McCain-Lieberman and McCain-Kennedy-Edwards!!! I don't agree with either's view of the War in Iraq and Afghanistan and I am still waiting for them to tell me HOW they will change our broken Washington so it will run again. Neither seems to have an idea as to how to solve our financial crisis. And I am really tired of people whose sole complaint about one or the other is that "he is too old" or "he goes to the wrong church". And the political dirt is beginning to fling a little too much for my taste! So where does that leave me?? Looking seriously into third parties! I know, my vote won't help get a third party elected as President however, I hope to find one that I can vote for and know that I stuck true to my values and didn't forgo them because "I am a Republican!"For those of you who made it through my rant, I apologize but also thank you for letting me voice my frustrations!!


3 comments:
Amen.
Nik, You couldn't have put it better. We are in trouble, and I don't see any good options for rescuing us from our own abdication of what we should hold most dear!
I feel the same way you do. I have been so confused about this election I really want to vote seeing how this is the first time I get to vote for a president but...I dont know who to vote for.
Post a Comment