Tuesday, September 30, 2008

RIP Shelvin II

Today while Nathan was at school I took a look at his little Shelvin II fish (He is a II because our first Shelvin was pushed off a chest of drawers, lidded aquarium and all and eaten by a family cat) and noticed that he wasn't looking so well. I tapped the bowl and instead of scurrying off like he normally does his tail started floating up toward the top of the bowl. Well, into every young life this moment eventually comes. Once Nathan got home and I told him Shelvin had died he had a few moments of tears. I then explained we could go to the pet store tomorrow and he could pick out a new Beta Fish. He sat quiet for a moment, his tears cleared up and he said, "I think I want a kitty now." Now what's a mom supposed to do??? We have had kittens before and while I admit there are things I like about cats, there are also things I don't like about them. So for now, Justin and I have told him we will "talk about it" and that we need to take Gavin to the shelter to let him pet some cats first as he seems to be quite allergic to dogs. So, who knows, we may be adding two new additions to the family in the next couple weeks. A new brother and a new pet for the kids that mommy and daddy take care of!

3 comments:

Our Corner

I'm sorry to hear about Shelvin. It's always hard to lose a family pet. Expecially when your a kid.

Rachel

aw thats sad! how can you not get another pet?! good luck, i dont know how to take care of a pet, except maybe a fish ;)

Emily

Brings back memories of your old Beta that had to eat blood worms! How many years have blood worms been a part of your life? Never thought I'd say this, but our hamster has been about as ideal a pet as they come. We love the little guy. Highly recommended, though I don't look forward to the day of his demise. It's hard whether they've got fins or fur.