Friday, May 16, 2008

Experiment Upon The Word

Last week I came across the Special Witness in the Friend. It is a little one page article that is always located in the back. It features one of the Apostles and some of their thoughts and ideas on a certain topic. This month (May) I noticed that the Apostle was Boyd K. Packer and the article was titled, "Does it really matter what kind of music I listen to?" Well, I read and one of the quotes caught my eye. Packer says, "You cannot afford to fill your mind with the unworthy hard music of our day...such music as that is not worthy of you." This caught my attention. Now, I don't listen to heavy metal or rap or anything however, I do listen to the radio and it always on in the car (unless I'm listening to talk radio). My kids hear whatever I'm listening to as well. I decided that for this last week, I would try to cut back on the amount of secular music I listen to. In the car I listened mostly to talk radio or easy listening stations. At home, I put on church music. They have such a wide variety now so I downloaded some of my favorites and played them whenever I was cleaning or working at the computer. Well, something great happened!! I seemed to be blessed with more patience during the week. I felt closer to Heavenly Father and had more of a desire to study the scriptures, read good books, spend time with my kids and engage in worthwhile activities. May sound corny to some but, what a wonderful feeling that filled our home this week. So, secular music is now permanently limited (not banned as I admit, some of it I really like...like the song bubbly makes me so happy!!) However, I am really watching what is on and also being aware of what music my kids are exposed to!!

2 comments:

"The Adams Family" dadadada

YOu just got TAGGED. read my blog for the rules!!!

Our Corner

What a great idea. I noticed that whenever James would practice the songs from the childrens song book there was a sweet feeling in our home...I'm going to have to copy you again. :)