Monday, May 5, 2008

Sunday Thoughts

Today I am grateful for the whisperings of the Spirit! As most of you know, we have been working on the update/remodel of our 1937 home since we moved in about a year ago. The basement took a great deal of work and we ended up tearing out the entire basement down to just a few 2x4's that were still good to work with. There was lots of water damage in the basement and most all of the original sheetrock and lots of the wood had to be replaced. The basement is not finished but the kids two bedrooms in the basement are done with new studs, sheetrock, paint, and carpet. With the emergence of spring, Justin has been poking around the yard trying to find our water main for the secondary irrigation water which our sprinklers and hoses all run on. Well, yesterday we hosted the Sunday family dinner at our house. Justin went out while my dad was here and the two of them were poking around digging at the pipe searching for the water main. This is an activity he normally wouldn't have done during Sunday dinner but yesterday, he did. Well, Justin uncovered a pipe which had a small hairline crack in it that had been leaking for a couple weeks since the Pineview water had been turned on. When they found the pipe it burst and began spraying water everywhere!! It had been frozen over the winter apparently and cracked open. So, we called Ogden city water and they came up to turn off the secondary water to the whole grid. Until that all got fixed, we began a bucket brigade to keep the water from flooding our basement. The kids all enjoyed helping (even if their buckets were my pots and pans!). We did get a little leakage into the basement but nothing major. My uncle was here and had the idea (once the water slowed from being turned off) to attach a hose to the pipe and channel the water down our driveway and into the gutter. Well, today I am so grateful that Justin went out to poke around at the pipes. The pipe surely would have burst eventually. If it had burst in the night or at a time when I was home alone with the kids, we most likely would have had inches of water in our basement. All the work and money we had already done downstairs would have been wasted!!! I believe that the Spirit works just like that. Yesterday, Justin was "prompted" by a simple feeling to find the main and was led to that mess. I am thankful God watches over us and cares about our day to day lives.

2 comments:

Emily

I'm so glad you had so much help at the time of the break! My worst fear is something like that happening when I'm alone because I am totally useless! Here's to handy husbands.

Our Corner

Sorry we werent there to help. I'm glad you were able to find that though before it caused lots of damage. I'm glad Justin listened to his promting so that he was able to find that pipe.